In a city ravaged by war and corruption, law and order have taken a backseat to terror and violence. Ruthless gangs rule the streets. Crime and bloodshed are commonplace. The city lives in fear.
Your name is Billy Lee. Your twin brother is Jimmy Lee. On the streets they call you the Spike, and your brother, the Hammer. That's because you are both masters without equal in the ancient martial arts of Kenpo and Kung fu. You've got what it takes to survive in the meanest streets in the world! And now, you've got troubles.
The Black Warriors, the meanest of the street gangs, is out for revenge: They want you dead. To bring you out into their territory, they've kidnapped your sweetheart, the beautiful Mary Ann.
Now you must venture out into the war-torn wasteland to rescue Mary Ann, defeat the Black Warriors, and return law and order to your city.
D-Button: * The Directional Button moves Billy or Jimmy in eight directions.
Button #1: * Press Button 1 to kick.
Button #2: * Press Button 2 to punch, or pick up and use items on the ground.
Two Player Game
Double Dragon can be played by two people at the same time by connecting Control Pad 2. Press Button 1 on Control Pad 2 to start. Both players will fight on the screen at the same time. A second player can also be added to a one player game at any time by pressing the Start Button on Control Pad 2.
In order to rescue Mary Ann, you must fight through four different missions, each of which is divided into several scenes. You must defeat all the enemies in each scene to progress to the next scene. If you do not, you will be stopped at the right of the screen.
At the end of each mission, you will be confronted by a Black Warrior lieutenant. You must defeat him to proceed to the next mission.
At the end of the last mission, you will have to fight the leader of the Black Warriors gang to rescue Mary Ann. His identity may surprise you!
(1) Mission 1: The Slums
(2) Mission 2: The Factory District
(3) Mission 3: The Park
(4) Mission 4: The Black Warriors Headquarters
-Viewing the Screen [SEE DRAGON-3.BMP]
(1) Billy Lee (2) Score (3) Life Meter (4) Remaining Lives (5) Jimmy Lee (6) Score (7) Life Meter (8) Remaining Lives
When you receive a blow from an opponent, a portion of your life meter will turn from blue to red. When it is all red, you lose a life.
When all three of your lives are lost, "Push Start" will appear in the upper corner of the screen. Press Button 1 to continue the game from your present position.
You can continue in this manner until you enter Mission 4. You will begin Mission 4 with three lives. After this point, if you lose all three lives, you must restart the game from the beginning.
The Black Warriors are skilled fighters, but you are a true master. Your arsenal of kicks and punches will be your only hope as you battle your way through the crime-infested streets.
(1) Leaping Reverse Kick Press buttons 1 and 2 simultaneously, and you will leap up and execute a powerful kick opposite to the direction you are facing.
(2) Jump Kick Push Buttons 1 and 2 simultaneously while pushing the Directional Button either right or left, and you will execute a jump kick in that direction.
(3) Elbow Smash Push the Directional Button in the opposite direction to that you are facing and simultaneously push Button 2. Your elbow becomes a deadly weapon.
(4) Head Butt Push the Directional Button left twice or right twice to give your enemies a real headache.
(5) Roundhouse Kick As you press Button 1 to kick your opponent, your front snap kick will become a more powerful roundhouse kick.
(6) Uppercut Punch As you press Button 2 to punch your opponent, your punches repeat and become more powerful uppercuts.
(7) Head Knee Smash When you stand on top of a downed enemy, you automatically place him in a headlock. Press Button 1 to jab him with your knee. Brutal but effective.
(8) Shoulder Throw When you've placed your opponent in a headlock, press Button 2 to fling him over your shoulder and slam him to the ground.
-Weapons [SEE DRAGON-4.BMP]
In addition to your hands and feet, you have other lethal weapons at your disposal, which you will find on the ground from time to time. To pick these weapons up, move over them and press Button 2. (When an enemy wields one of these weapons, knock him down to make him drop it on the ground.)
(1) Drum (2) Box (3) Rock
* Press Button 2 to throw these at the enemy.
(4) Whip (5) Bat
* Press Button 2 to swing these against the gang members.
* Press Button 2 to throw.
* When thrown at you, pick it up and throw it at the enemy before it explodes.
Note: Weapons can only be used in the scene in which they are discovered.
-The Black Warriors Gang [SEE DRAGON-5.BMP]
Here are some of the bad guys you'll have to beat to win!
(1) Abobo (2) Rowper (3) Williams (4) Jeff (5) Linda (6) Willy
Know The Score
Each time you strike an enemy, you are awarded points:
Many of the gang members attack in predictable patterns. Learn these, anticipate them, and use them to your advantage when planning your attack.
Many of the gang members will come up fighting even after being knocked down a number of times. When an enemy is knocked down and starts flashing, it means he's down for good. Move on to another target. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------